Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Facebook or LinkedIn?

Read an interesting discourse between the two by Tom Davenport. I'm sure most of you would be familiar with either or both by now.

First of all, let me make a confession by saying that until a month ago... I was deadset against the idea of having a presence on Facebook. The fact that it was so hyped about in the media in Singapore did help either. I mean seriously... why the heck would I want to receive an electronic glass of whiskey when I can get the real thing easily at Boat Quay or Clarke Quay?

This bias also came partially from the fact that I (like most people) guard my professional image jealously. "Down with Facebook" I'll said. What would my business associates, colleagues & industry peers say if they ever saw me on Facebook? (Ok. I admit. I'm making a big assumption that people outside my family even care about my existence. Ok, ok. I'm making an even bigger assumption that my family cares about what I do online.)

So I'll have to say that I was literally forced onto Facebook by my boss who was interested to see how we can create a collaborative online environment. Although I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm an active user, I am pretty hooked.

But first, why my original preference for LinkedIn? As you've probably guessed by now, it has more to do with my personal preference to separate business & social activities. LinkedIn is touted as a professional social networking website where "serious" people can discuss about "serious" issues. So I figured this would probably be the one for me & I was very impressed (at first). The details required to be filled in & the extend to which the website guards your privacy gave me a sense of exclusivity & importance. It said to me: This isn't a Friendster. We only want "serious" people here & we only look at "serious" issues.

Unfortunately, LinkedIn became a little TOO serious for my liking. I guess this has to do with the fact that it was meant to be a business networking website. Somehow I couldn't help but feel that there were too many sell-side participants on LinkedIn. But to be fair I have post a question on LinkedIn seek advice on on how I should a tackle work related issue which had generated some interesting feedback. But you do need to initiate an action before getting results.

I still have a LinkedIn account. But like Tom, I use it mostly as an address book.

This is where Facebook comes in. It allows you (or your friends) to be proactive by sending you online cocktails, trivial surveys, online flowers, etc; without antagonising you. After all, this is suppose to be a "fun" website & not a "serious"one. Of course, you have the option of reciprocating... you do not have to.

But the fact that some many people use Facebook also means that if I do not use it, I'll be out of the loop on the latest developments. So I am also forced to maintain a presence on Facebook & check it regularly.

That's not to say that I have become a Facebook fanatic. I like the idea that I can see my friends online & that I can keep up-to-date on what they have been doing. But the whole "poking" & "super poking" thing just isn't working out for me. I'm not in the habit of poking anyone in the real world & don't think I''ll ever get into that habit in the virtual one.

No comments: